29 March, 2013

CERT is hiring

The company I work for is hiring. For those that don't know, CERT is part of the Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. CERT was created in 1988 as part of the response to the Morris worm. You can find out more on CERT's "About Us" page.

If you are interested, please read more about our hiring process and browse some of the available positions. The positions are primarily in Pittsburgh with a few openings in Arlington, VA. The open positions cover network security analysis, security architecture, malware analysis, software development, vulnerability analysis, and more.

I consider our hiring process fairly grueling but also stimulating. It gives the prospective employee and prospective coworkers a good chance to really learn if the relationship will work. It is an opportunity not just for the candidate to get interviewed, but also for the candidate to interview those that already work at CERT.

One of the reasons we have so many vacant positions is because we try to maintain high standards when considering candidates. Most of our positions require a fair amount of experience and expertise. My colleagues are smart, diligent, and largely enthusiastic about their chosen professions. Don't get me wrong -- we still have bad days when we are less enthusiastic or unhappy about the state of information security, but this is a pretty cool place to work. We do a wide variety of both research and more operationally focused work, tackling a lot of big problems. We also get a fair amount of freedom to find interesting and challenging areas of work.

If I know you or know of your work, please contact me about using my name as a referral. A referral from a current CERT employee can be helpful when applying. The best way to contact me regarding a referral or to ask other questions is via email or LinkedIn. You can also post questions more publicly here on my blog if it seems appropriate. In the interest of disclosure, I have an interest in recruiting people that I will want to work with but also could potentially get a referral bonus if you list me when you apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment